Sunday 20 December 2009
It was Sunday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of December people in US were listening to Empire State Of Mind by Jay-Z.
Sherlock Holmes, directed by Guy Ritchie, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Going Rogue: An American Life by Sarah Palin was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 20 December 2009!
Which were the important events of 20 December 2009 ?
- R.C. Saints - Saint Dominic of Silos
- Also see December 20 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The first All Faiths Day was celebrated in 2003 in Canandaigua, New York.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 20 December
- Tanzania is hit by an earthquake measuring 6.2 magnitude. (Press TV)
- A crisis state of emergency is declared when at least three people are killed, hundreds are wounded and buildings collapse when an earthquake strikes Malawi. (''The New York Times'')
- Shi'ites say Saudi air attacks on northern Yemen have led to the deaths of 54 people, including women and children. (Reuters)
- Madagascar President Andry Rajoelina appoints Colonel Vital Albert Camille as the new Prime Minister, days after sacking former Prime Minister Eugene Mangalaza, who had been appointed as part of a power sharing agreement. (BBC)
- United States Army Major General Anthony Cucolo makes pregnancy a court-martial offense for both female and male troops under his command in northern Iraq. (''The Sydney Morning Herald'')
- Gerry Adams, in an interview with RTÉ, speaks for the first time about the abuse his father inflicted on his family. (''The Observer'')
- A runaway truck kills up to 100 people at a market in Kogi State, Nigeria. (Xinhua)
- Snowfall disrupts transport services and kills at least 18 people across Europe. (Ireland Online)
- Mourners pay their respects to drug baron Marcos Arturo Beltrán-Leyva days after he is shot dead by authorities. (Reuters)
- Hundreds of riot police and Maoist protesters clash in the Nepalese capital Kathmandu on the first day of a three-day general strike. (AFP)
- Colombia and Venezuela move closer to war. (Reuters)
- Philippine officials warn an eruption at the Mayon Volcano could happen within the next few days. (AP)
- Two people are killed and four people are wounded by flying concrete during a huge demolition of a Soviet war memorial in Georgia. (''The Washington Post'')
- American band Rage Against the Machine top the UK Christmas Singles Chart with 1992 song ampquotKilling in the Nameampquot. Its popularity arose from an internet campaign to prevent ''X Factor'' winner Joe McElderry from topping the charts. (CNN)
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2009 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?