Monday 20 July 1953
It was Monday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK I Believe by Frankie Laine was in the top 5 hits.
The Band Wagon, directed by Vincente Minnelli, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while The Dark Angel by Mika Waltari was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1953.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 20 July 1953!
Which were the important events of 20 July 1953 ?
- St. Jerome Aemiliani
- St. Rufina
- St. Flavian
- St. Justa
- St. Margaret of Antioch
- St. Sabinus
- St. Joseph of Barsabas
- Brazil - Friendship Day
- St. Ceslas
- Argentina - Dfa del Amigo (Friendship Day)
- Japan - Marine Day (Umi-no-hi, currently it falls on the third Monday in July.)
- Northern Cyprus - Peace and Freedom Day
- Colombia - Independence Day
- Feast day for at least seventeen saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Saint Aurelius
- St. Wulmar/Ulmar
- St. Severa1
- St. Barhadbesciabas
- St. Severa2
- St. Wilgefortis
- International chess day
- Dave Evans: Welsh-Australian singer-songwriter (AC/DC and Rabbit).
- Thomas Friedman: American journalist and author.
- Lee Garlington: American actress.
- Theodore Prostakoff: American piano prodigy.
- Dan Shaughnessy: American sports writer.
- Marcia Hines: American singer who emigrated to Australia at age 16 to join the cast of the musical, "Hair" unaware that she was pregnant at the time. Her daughter Deni became a noted singer also.
- Rocco Mattioli: Italian boxer, a world champion in 1977. His family imigrated to Australia when he was four and he was raised there. At 14, he began to box, becoming pro three years later. He was the Australian Welterweight Champion by the time he was 19. In 1975, Mattioli reentered Italy and became Champion of the World in 1977. Between 1970 and 1982, he fought 72 matches of which he won 63, tied two and lost seven.
- Tom Friedman: American journalist and three-time Pulitzer Prize winner, Friedman is the author of several books on political, economic and cultural issuess.
- USSR / Israel recover diplomatic relations
- The United Nations Economic and Social Council votes to make UNICEF a permanent agency.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1953 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?