Tuesday 20 March 1956
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK It's Almost Tomorrow by The Dreamweavers was in the top 5 hits.
Ikiru, directed by Akira Kurosawa, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while Ten North Frederick by John O'Hara was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1956.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 20 March 1956!
Which were the important events of 20 March 1956 ?
- Feast of St. Cuthbert, patron saint of Northumbria (died 704)
- Saint Alexandra
- Saint Herbert (died 687)
- Canberra Day
- Meat Out Day
- International Astrology Day
- New Year of Iranian Calendar: Norouz occurs on the vernal equinox.
- The second day of Quinquatria in ancient Rome, held in honor of Minerva.
- The vernal equinox usually occurs on this day.
- Saint Wulfram (d.704)
- Phillip Oppenhein: British Member of Parliament.
- Catherine Ashton: English politician Vice-President of the European Commission.
- Anne Donahue: American lawyer and politician.
- Ian Moss: Australian guitarist and singer-songwriter (Cold Chisel).
- Naoto Takenaka: Japanese actor comedian singer and director.
- 156-day strike against Westinghouse ends
- Union workers ended a 156-day strike at Westinghouse Electric Corp
- Tunisia gains independence from France.
- E Ochab succeeds Beirut as first Secretary of Polish CP.
- Mount Bezymianny on Kamchatka Peninsula (USSR) explodes.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1956 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?