Friday 20 March 1970
It was Friday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Kristin Klein in Santa Monica and Ralph Dawkins.
In that special week of March people in US were listening to Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon and Garfunkel.
In UK Wand'rin' Star by Lee Marvin was in the top 5 hits.
Women in Love, directed by Ken Russell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1970
while The French Lieutenant'S Woman by John Fowles was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Die Reiter von Padola.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 20 March 1970!
Which were the important events of 20 March 1970 ?
- Feast of St. Cuthbert, patron saint of Northumbria (died 704)
- Saint Alexandra
- Saint Herbert (died 687)
- Canberra Day
- Meat Out Day
- International Astrology Day
- New Year of Iranian Calendar: Norouz occurs on the vernal equinox.
- The second day of Quinquatria in ancient Rome, held in honor of Minerva.
- The vernal equinox usually occurs on this day.
- Saint Wulfram (d.704)
- Kristin Klein in Santa Monica: California, USA; volleyball outside hitter (Olympics-1996).
- Ralph Dawkins: NFL running back (New Orleans Saints).
- Ron George: NFL linebacker (Atlanta Falcons).
- Edoardo Ballerini: American actor director producer and screenwriter.
- Michele Jaffe: American novelist.
- Michael Rapaport: American actor and director
- Manolis Chiotis: Greek singer-songwriter and bouzouki player (d. 1970).
- Agency for Cultural and Technical Co-operation (ACCT) (Agence de Coopération Culturelle et Technique).
- The first Earth Day proclamation is issued by San Francisco Mayor Joseph Alioto.
- ampquotAll Kinds of Everythingampquot, sung by Dana (music and text by Derry Lindsay and Jackie Smith), wins the Eurovision Song Contest 1970 for Ireland.
- NASA's ''Explorer 1'', the first American satellite and Explorer program spacecraft, reenters Earth's atmosphere after 12 years in orbit.
- Japan Airlines Flight 351, carrying 131 passengers and 7 crew from Tokyo to Fukuoka, is hijacked by Japanese Red Army members. All passengers are eventually freed.
- American President Richard Nixon signs the Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act into law, banning cigarette television advertisements in the United States with effect from January 1, 1971.
- American Motors Corporation introduces the Gremlin.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1970 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
- The Jaggerz - The Rapper
- Chairmen Of The Board - Give Me Just A Little More Time
- John Ono Lennon - Instant Karma (We All Shine On)
- Brook Benton - Rainy Night In Georgia
- The Beatles - Let It Be
- The Hollies - He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother
- Edison Lighthouse - Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)
- Santana - Evil Ways
- The Delfonics - Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?