Thursday 21 August 1986
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Usain Bolt and Conor Clapton.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Papa Don't Preach by Madonna.
In UK The Lady In Red by Chris De Burgh was in the top 5 hits.
Manhunter, directed by Michael Mann, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1986
while Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Equinox.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Big Bucks Trivia or Mighty Bomb Jack.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 August 1986!
Which were the important events of 21 August 1986 ?
- Ninoy Aquino Day - special holiday in the Philippines.
- Orthodox - Thaddaeus
- RC saints - Pope Pius X
- Roman festivals - Consualia, in honor of Consus, is held
- Usain Bolt: Jamaican athlete, sprinter, the best since Carl Lewis, he wanted to be a cricket player.
- Conor Clapton: British noted family, the son of Lory Del Santo and Eric Clapton.
- Carlos Pratts: Movie Actor.
- Wout Brama: Dutch international footballer (FC Twente).
- Kiami Davael: American actress.
- Rags opens at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC for 4 performances
- Red Sox Spike Owens scores 6 runs in a 24-5 rout of Cleveland Indians
- Surinames Ronnie Brunswijks Jungle commandos kill 2 government officials
- Volcanic eruption in Cameroon releases poison gas, killing 2,000
- With 2 outs in 6th inning, Red Sox score 11 runs
- Lake Nios volcanic eruption in Cameroon releases poison gas, killing 1,746.
- Carbon dioxide gas erupts from volcanic Lake Nyos in Cameroon, killing up to 1,800 people within a 20-kilometer range.
- The Lake Nyos disaster occurs in Cameroon, killing nearly 2,000 people.
- The Soviet passenger liner ''Admiral Nakhimov'' collides with the bulk carrier ''Pyotr Vasev'' in the Black Sea and sinks almost immediately, killing 398.
- Aeroméxico Flight 498, a Douglas DC-9, collides with a Piper PA-28 over Cerritos, California, killing 67 on both aircraft and 15 on the ground.
- The cargo ship ''Khian Sea'' departs from the docks of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, carrying 14,000 tons of toxic waste. It wanders the seas for the next 16 months trying to find a place to dump its cargo.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1986 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Madonna - Papa Don't Preach
- Steve Winwood - Higher Love
- Bananarama - Venus
- Belinda Carlisle - Mad About You
- Peter Cetera - Glory Of Love (Theme From The Karate Kid Part II)
- Lionel Richie - Dancing On The Ceiling
- Berlin - Take My Breath Away (Love Theme From Top Gun)
- Jermaine Stewart - We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off
- Timex Social Club - Rumors
- Wham! - The Edge Of Heaven
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?