Thursday 21 August 1986
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Papa Don't Preach by Madonna.
In UK The Lady In Red by Chris De Burgh was in the top 5 hits.
Manhunter, directed by Michael Mann, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1986
while Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 August 1986!
Which were the important events of 21 August 1986 ?
- Ninoy Aquino Day - special holiday in the Philippines.
- Orthodox - Thaddaeus
- RC saints - Pope Pius X
- Roman festivals - Consualia, in honor of Consus, is held
- Conor Clapton: British noted family, the son of Lory Del Santo and Eric Clapton.
- Usain Bolt: Jamaican athlete, sprinter, the best since Carl Lewis, he wanted to be a cricket player.
- Carlos Pratts: Movie Actor.
- Wout Brama: Dutch international footballer (FC Twente).
- Kiami Davael: American actress.
- Rags opens at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC for 4 performances
- Red Sox Spike Owens scores 6 runs in a 24-5 rout of Cleveland Indians
- Surinames Ronnie Brunswijks Jungle commandos kill 2 government officials
- Volcanic eruption in Cameroon releases poison gas, killing 2,000
- With 2 outs in 6th inning, Red Sox score 11 runs
- Lake Nios volcanic eruption in Cameroon releases poison gas, killing 1,746.
- Carbon dioxide gas erupts from volcanic Lake Nyos in Cameroon, killing up to 1,800 people within a 20-kilometer range.
- The Lake Nyos disaster occurs in Cameroon, killing nearly 2,000 people.
- The Soviet passenger liner ''Admiral Nakhimov'' collides with the bulk carrier ''Pyotr Vasev'' in the Black Sea and sinks almost immediately, killing 398.
- Aeroméxico Flight 498, a Douglas DC-9, collides with a Piper PA-28 over Cerritos, California, killing 67 on both aircraft and 15 on the ground.
- The cargo ship ''Khian Sea'' departs from the docks of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, carrying 14,000 tons of toxic waste. It wanders the seas for the next 16 months trying to find a place to dump its cargo.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1986 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Madonna - Papa Don't Preach
- Peter Cetera - Glory Of Love (Theme From The Karate Kid Part II)
- Berlin - Take My Breath Away (Love Theme From Top Gun)
- Bananarama - Venus
- Steve Winwood - Higher Love
- Lionel Richie - Dancing On The Ceiling
- Belinda Carlisle - Mad About You
- Jermaine Stewart - We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off
- Timex Social Club - Rumors
- Wham! - The Edge Of Heaven
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 21 August 1986 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?