Thursday 21 December 1989
It was Thursday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of December people in US were listening to Another Day In Paradise by Phil Collins.
In UK You Got It (The Right Stuff) by New Kids On The Block was in the top 5 hits.
Always, directed by Steven Spielberg, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while Daddy by Danielle Steel was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1989.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 December 1989!
Which were the important events of 21 December 1989 ?
- Roman festivals - Divalia in honour of Angerona
- R.C. Saints - Saint Petrus Canisius ; formerly feast day of Thomas the apostle
- Also see December 21 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The summer solstice (Southern Hemisphere) or winter solstice (Northern Hemisphere), sometimes known as Yule, occurs on or very close to this date. It is an important festival in the Chinese calendar.
- Mark Ingram Jr: American football player.
- Tamannaah : Indian model and actress.
- Brent Taddie: Drummer.
- Mark Ingram: Football Player.
- Tamannaah Bhatia: Indian actress.
- Quinta Brunson: YouTube Star
- VP Quayle sends out 30,000 Xmas cards with word beacon spelled beakon
- US Vice-President Dan Quayle sends out 30,000 Christmas cards with word "beacon" spelled "beakon".
- Nicolae Ceausescu addresses an assembly of some 110,000 people outside the Romanian Communist Party HQ in Bucharest. The crowd begin to protest against Ceausescu and he orders in the army to attack the protesters.
- After a week of bloody demonstrations, Ion Iliescu takes over as president of Romania, ending the communist dictatorship of Nicolae Ceauşescu, who flees his palace in a helicopter to escape inevitable execution after the palace was invaded by rioters. The Romanian troops, who the day before had followed Ceausescu's orders to attack the demonstrators, change sides and join the uprising.
- Two tourist coaches collide on the Pacific highway north of Kempsey, Australia, killing 35.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Phil Collins - Another Day In Paradise
- Linda Ronstadt - Don't Know Much
- Billy Joel - We Didn't Start The Fire
- Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation
- Taylor Dayne - With Every Beat Of My Heart
- Soul II Soul - Back To Life
- Technotronic - Pump Up The Jam
- Cher - Just Like Jesse James
- New Kids On The Block - This One's For The Children
- Bon Jovi - Living In Sin
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?