Wednesday 21 December 2011
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of December people in US were listening to We Found Love by Rihanna.
The Flowers of War, directed by Yimou Zhang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever by Jeff Kinne was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 December 2011!
Which were the important events of 21 December 2011 ?
- Roman festivals - Divalia in honour of Angerona
- R.C. Saints - Saint Petrus Canisius ; formerly feast day of Thomas the apostle
- Also see December 21 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The summer solstice (Southern Hemisphere) or winter solstice (Northern Hemisphere), sometimes known as Yule, occurs on or very close to this date. It is an important festival in the Chinese calendar.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 21 December
- 2011 Syrian uprising: Syria's opposition urge the United Nations and Arab League to hold emergency meetings after an alleged massacre took place in the northwest of the country, before Arab League monitors enter the country. (''Straits Times'')
- 2011 Yemeni uprising: Thousands of Yemeni protesters march from the city of Taez to the capital Sana'a to demand a trial for outgoing President Ali Abdullah Saleh for alleged crimes against anti-government protesters. (''Khaleej Times'')
- Two former Rwandan politicians of the National Republican Movement for Democracy and Development partyndashMathieu Ngirumpatse and Édouard Karemerandashare jailed for their role in the 1994 Rwandan Genocide. (Al Jazeera)
- The Japanese media reports that prosecutors are raiding the offices of Olympus Corporation over an accounting scandal. (Reuters)
- The death toll from flooding in the Philippines caused by Tropical Storm Washi reaches 1,002 and is set to rise further. (AP via ABC News America)
- Health authorities in Hong Kong start slaughtering 17,000 chickens after a carcass infected with bird flu H5N1 is found at a poultry market. (''New York Times'')
- An Indonesian ferry sinks off the coast of the Maluku Islands with 60 people missing. (AP via Salon)
- North Korea closes its border with China ahead of the funeral of former leader Kim Jong-il. (UPI)
- Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay agree to close their ports to ships flying the flag of the Falkland Islands at a Mercosur meeting Argentina and the United Kingdom both claim the islands. (Al Jazeera)
- Russian blogger Alexei Navalny and opposition leader Ilya Yashin are released. (RIA Novosti)
- Former ''Daily Mirror'' journalist James Hipwell tells the Leveson Inquiry that phone hacking was a ampquotbog standard journalistic toolampquot at the paper. (BBC)
- John Terry, the captain of the England football team. is to face criminal charges over allegations he used racist language towards a black player during a Premier League game. (BBC)
- Soyuz TMA-03M, launched from Baikonur, carries a crew of three men to the International Space Station. (ESA)
- A rebellion by villagers in Wukan, southern China, ends after authorities say they will release three protesters detained and agree to other demands. (''The Telegraph'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2011 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?