Tuesday 21 July 1959
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Lonely Boy by Paul Anka.
In UK Dream Lover by Bobby Darin was in the top 5 hits.
Plan 9 from Outer Space, directed by Edward D. Wood Jr., was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Lady Chatterly'S Lover by D.H. Lawrence was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1959.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 July 1959!
Which were the important events of 21 July 1959 ?
- St. Zoticus
- St. Victor of Marseilles
- St. Barhadbesciabus
- St. Arbogastus
- Catholic - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Praxedes
- Singapore: Racial Harmony Day
- Guam: Liberation Day (1944)
- Bolivia: Martyrs' Day
- Belgium: National holiday (1831 - inauguration of LTopold I, first king of the Belgians)
- Michèle De Mey: Belgian dancer and choreographer, who founded her dance company 'Astragale' in 1990.
- Stuart Young-Black: Cheshire, England -- Canadian equestrian (1996 Olympics).
- Rossana Casale: Italian singer, born to an American father and Italian mother, who shortly after her birth relocated to Venice in Italy and then to Milan.
- Caroline Tresca: French TV host, stage actress, and painter, great-granddaughter of composer Vincent d'Indy.
- Gene Miles: Australian rugby player and sportscaster.
- 1st nuclear powered Merchant ship, NS Savannah, christened, Camden, New Jersey
- Red Sox are last team to use a black player (Pumpsie Green)
- First atomic-powered merchant ship, Savannah, christened, at Camden, New Jersey, USA.
- Elijah Jerry ''Pumpsie'' Green becomes the first African-American to play for the Boston Red Sox, the last team to integrate. He came in as a pinch runner for Vic Wertz and stayed in as shortstop in a 2-1 loss to the Chicago White Sox.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Paul Anka - Lonely Boy
- Johnny Horton - The Battle Of New Orleans
- Fabian - Tiger
- Stonewall Jackson - Waterloo
- Lloyd Price - Personality
- Carl Dobkins Jr. - My Heart Is An Open Book
- Freddy Cannon - Tallahassee Lassie
- Connie Francis - Lipstick On Your Collar
- Elvis Presley - A Big Hunk O' Love
- Bobby Darin - Dream Lover
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?