Monday 21 October 1940
It was Monday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
North West Mounted Police, directed by Cecil B. DeMille, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1940.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 October 1940!
Which were the important events of 21 October 1940 ?
- Republic of China - Overseas Chinese Day
- French Republican Calendar - Tonneau (Barrel) Day, thirtieth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- In the comic novel Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, the Earth was born on this day in 4004 BC, within a quarter of an hour of 9 in the morning. This was supposedly because God liked to get things over with early.
- R.C. saints - Saint Ursula and her 11 (or 11000) virgins; Saint Hilarion
- Trafalgar Day ? celebrated throughout much of the British Empire in the 19th and early 20th Century.
- Also see October 21 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- International Day of the Nacho ? celebrated in the United States and Mexico since the early 1990s.
- Diwali in India (2006)
- Don Ritter: (Rep-R-Pennsylvania, 1979- ).
- Frances FitzGerald in New York City: New York, USA; journalist/author (Fire in the Lake).
- Julie Parrish: Middlesboro, Kentucky -- Actress (Good Morning World, Capitol).
- Osamu Watanabe: Japan -- Featherweight (1964 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Geoff Boycott: English cricketer.
- Geoffrey Boycott: British sports figure, a brilliant but controversial cricket player who retired in 1986.
- Frankie FitzGerald: American Pulitzer Prize-winning author on Vietnam, described as a "cultural anthropologist working as a reporter." Her book, "Fire in the Lake," 1972, was said to have been highly influential in turning American public opinion against American military intervention in Vietnam. Her other books include "America Revised," 1979 and "Cities on a Hill," 1986. From an aristocratic lineage and raised in households that entertained political and social legends, FitzGerald is considered brilliant on her o
- Pelé : Brazilian soccer player considered the athlete of the century. Pelé became a national Brazilian hero and probably the best player in soccer history. In his long career, he made 1,281 goals. In his international debut at the 1950 World Cup, he scored two goals in the 4-2 win against Sweden. He subsequently scored a goal in every international game in which he played.
- Frances FitzGerald: American journalist and author
- Rhoda Gemignani: American actress
- Manfred Mann: South African-English keyboard player and producer (Manfred Mann Manfred Mann's Earth Band and Manfred Mann Chapter Three)
- Marita Petersen: Faroese educator and politician Prime Minister of the Faroe Islands (d. 2001)
- William G Conley: Governor of West Virginia (Born 1866).
- RAF drops 1st anti-Nazi pamphlets on Netherlands
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1940 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Ferry Boat Serenade - Kay Kyser & His Orchestra
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?