Thursday 21 September 1961
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Michel R Vassallucci and Billy Collins.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Take Good Care Of My Baby by Bobby Vee.
In UK Johnny Remember Me by John Leyton was in the top 5 hits.
Paris Blues, directed by Martin Ritt, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Ripcord.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 September 1961!
Which were the important events of 21 September 1961 ?
- Mabon - Neopagan festival of Mabon
- International Day of Peace of the United Nations, as propagated by Peace One Day
- In ancient Greece, the eighth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the secret rites in the Telesterion finish and the feast, Pannychis, begins.
- Philippines - Thanksgiving Day
- Independence Day in Malta (1964), Belize (1981) & Armenia (1991)
- Also see September 21 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Matthew the Evangelist
- Michel R Vassallucci: French / Neth publisher (Arena).
- Billy Collins: Jr.
- Dan Borislow: American businessman invented the magicJack (d. 2014).
- Nancy Travis: American actress and producer.
- Antonio Abertondo swims English Channel round trip (44 miles)
- Maiden flight of the CH-47 Chinook transportation helicopter.
- In France, the OAS slips an anti-de Gaulle message into TV programming.
- The old Deutsche Opernhaus in the Berlin neighborhood of Charlottenburg is returned to its newly rebuilt house as the Deutsche Oper Berlin.
- In the U.S., the Walt Disney anthology television series, renamed ''Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color'', moves from ABC to NBC after seven years on the air, and begins telecasting its programs in color for the first time. Years later, after Disney's death, the still-on-the-air program will be renamed ''The Wonderful World of Disney''.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Vee - Take Good Care Of My Baby
- The Highwaymen - Michael
- The Jive Five - My True Story
- Elvis Presley - (Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame
- Roy Orbison - Crying
- Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor (On The Bedpost Over Night) - Lonnie Donegan and His Skiffle Group
- Johnny Tillotson - Without You
- Joe Dowell - Wooden Heart
- Bobby Lewis - One Track Mind
- The Dreamlovers - When We Get Married
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?