Thursday 22 August 1968
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to People Got To Be Free by The Rascals.
In UK Mony Mony by Tommy James & The Shondells was in the top 5 hits.
Hang 'Em High, directed by Ted Post, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1968
while Testimony Of Two Men by Taylor Caldwell was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 22 August 1968!
Which were the important events of 22 August 1968 ?
- RC feasts - Mary queen of angels
- Amanda Warrington: American sportswoman; this champion horsewoman died December 28, 1997 in Wilmington, DE of injuries suffered in a fall during the Fair Hill, MD horse trials on September 20, 1997.
- Casper Christensen: Danish comedian actor and screenwriter.
- Paul Colman: Australian singer-songwriter and guitarist (Newsboys and Paul Colman Trio).
- Aleksandr Mostovoi: Russian footballer.
- Elisabeth Murdoch: Australian businesswoman.
- Horst Skoff: Austrian tennis player (d. 2008)
- Henrik Holm: Sweden -- Tennis star
- Emanuela Pierantozzi: Italian female judo champ, winner of a Silver Medal at the Barcelona Olympics 1992.
- Paul Ereng: Kenya -- 800m runner (1988 Olympics - Gold Medalist)
- Rich Lowry: American magazine editor
- Alexander Mostovoi: Russian footballer
- Michael Curry: NBA guard (Detroit Pistons, Milwaukee Bucks)
- 1st papal visit to Latin America (Pope Paul VI arrives in Bogota)
- Cynthia Lennon sues John Lennon for divorce on adultery.
- Pope Paul VI arrives in Bogota, Colombia. It is the first visit of a pope to Latin America.
- August 30 ampndash Police clash with anti-war protesters in Chicago, Illinois, outside the 1968 Democratic National Convention, which nominates Hubert Humphrey for U.S. President, and Edmund Muskie for Vice President.
- John Gordon Mein, US Ambassador to Guatemala, is assassinated on the streets of Guatemala City. First US Ambassador assassinated in the line of duty.
- Crown Prince Harald of Norway marries Sonja Haraldsen, the commoner he has dated for 9 years, in Oslo.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1968 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Rascals - People Got To Be Free
- The Doors - Hello, I Love You
- Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild
- Mason Williams - Classical Gas
- The 5th Dimension - Stoned Soul Picnic
- Jose Feliciano - Light My Fire
- The Cream - Sunshine Of Your Love
- The Vogues - Turn Around, Look At Me
- Archie Bell & The Drells - I Can't Stop Dancing
- The Dells - Stay In My Corner
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 22 August 1968 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?