Wednesday 22 August 2012
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Whistle by Flo Rida.
Lawless, directed by John Hillcoat, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Freed by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 22 August 2012!
Which were the important events of 22 August 2012 ?
- RC feasts - Mary queen of angels
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 22 August
- Syrian civil war:
- A Chinese state news commentary on recent U.S. ampquotred lineampquot remarks states that, once again, Western powers are digging deep for excuses to intervene militarily in another conflict-torn Middle East country. It sharply denounces the U.S.' ampquotcalculusampquot. (Xinhua)
- Syrian forces shell two separate districts in the capital Damascus rebels say at least 47 people are killed. Frequent fighting is reported in Aleppo and other parts of the country. The United Nations estimate that 18,000 people have been killed in the conflict. (Reuters)
- At least 48 people are killed during clashes, over grazing rights for cattle, between the Pokomo and Orma tribes in Kenya. (Deutsche Welle)
- Nina Bawden, the writer of seminal work ''Carrie's War'' and shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 1987 and the Lost Man Booker Prize in 2010, dies at her London home. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
- The BBC turns down ampquotflatampquot a proposal for a statue to George Orwell who resigned from the organisation ampquotbecause for some time past I have been conscious that I was wasting my time and the public money on doing work that produces no results.ampquot (BBC)
- A state of emergency is declared in California over wildfires threatening hundreds of buildings (Reuters)
- Hurricane Isaac causes so much disruption that hearings at Guantánamo Bay are cancelled again. (Huffington Post)
- Research finds that elderly men pass on more genetic mutations to their children if they become fathers. (''Los Angeles Times'')
- Penn State's ex-president Graham Spanier rejects the report by former FBI head Louis Freeh accusing the university of a cover-up, saying he never heard even a hint of child sex abuse by Jerry Sandusky, despite indications of ampquothorseplayampquot, having never met a higher level of awareness. (Reuters)
- Russia becomes the 156th member of the World Trade Organization. Vanuatu becomes the 157th member. (Bloomberg)
- Former Irish footballer Kevin Sheedy is diagnosed with bowel cancer at the age of 52. (RTE)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2012 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in August 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?