Friday 22 December 1939
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The Hunchback of Notre Dame, directed by William Dieterle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1939.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 22 December 1939!
Which were the important events of 22 December 1939 ?
- R.C. Saints - commemoration of Frances Xavier Cabrini
- Spain: the main draw of Spanish National Lottery, where it is a Christmas tradition.
- Astrology: First day of sun sign Capricorn
- In the Northern Hemisphere, the winter solstice occurs on or very close to this date. In the Southern Hemisphere, the summer solstice occurs around this time.
- Also see December 22 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Japan - T?ji (winter solstice)
- James Gurley: American guitarist (Big Brother and the Holding Company) (d. 2009).
- Ma Rainey: "Mother of the Blues", US blues singer / composer, dies at 53.
- 99 die in 2nd wreck at Friedrichshafen Germany
- Ma Rainey "Mother of the Blues", American blues singer/composer, dies at age 53.
- 125 die in train wreck at Magdeburg, Germany; 99 die in second wreck at Friedrichshafen, Germany.
- Finnish counter-offensive at Petsamo.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1939 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- All the Things You Are - Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra
- Faithful Forever - Glenn Miller & His Orchestra
- In an Old Dutch Garden (By an Old Dutch Mill) - Dick Jurgens & His Orchestra
- Bluebirds in the Moonlight - Dick Jurgens & His Orchestra
- Erskine Hawkins & His Orchestra - Tuxedo Junction
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?