Friday 22 December 1961
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Yuri Ivanovich and Catherine Oxenberg in New York City.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to The Lion Sleeps Tonight by The Tokens.
In UK Tower Of Strength by Frankie Vaughan was in the top 5 hits.
The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone, directed by Jos Quintero, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while Franny And Zooey by J.D. Salinger was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Poly.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 22 December 1961!
Which were the important events of 22 December 1961 ?
- R.C. Saints - commemoration of Frances Xavier Cabrini
- Spain: the main draw of Spanish National Lottery, where it is a Christmas tradition.
- Astrology: First day of sun sign Capricorn
- In the Northern Hemisphere, the winter solstice occurs on or very close to this date. In the Southern Hemisphere, the summer solstice occurs around this time.
- Also see December 22 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Japan - T?ji (winter solstice)
- Yuri Ivanovich: Malinchenko; Russian Lieutenant-Colonel / cosmonaut (Soyuz TM-19).
- Catherine Oxenberg in New York City: New York, USA; actress (Amanda - Dynasty).
- Andrew Fastow: American businessman.
- Yuri Malenchenko: Russian colonel pilot and astronaut.
- Marcus O'Sullivan: Irish runner and coach.
- US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
- The Marvelettes - Please Mr. Postman
- Bobby Vee - Run To Him
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Leroy Van Dyke - Walk On By
- James Darren - Goodbye Cruel World
- Sandy Nelson - Let There Be Drums
- Neil Sedaka - Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen
- Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
- Joey Dee & the Starliters - Peppermint Twist - Part 1
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?