Tuesday 22 February 2011
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of February people in US were listening to Born This Way by Lady GaGa.
L'argent, directed by Marcel L'Herbier, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Tick Tock by James Patterson, Michael Ledwidge was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 22 February 2011!
Which were the important events of 22 February 2011 ?
- Blessed Saint Isabel of France (+1270)
- United States - Washington's Birthday (traditionally).
- Ash Wednesday in 2023.
- Saint Lucia - independence (1979).
- The Scouting movement celebrates this day as "B.-P. day" or "Founder's Day" as it is the shared birthday of the Scouts' founder Sir Robert Baden-Powell and his wife, Lady Olave Baden-Powell, the World Chief Guide.
- The World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts celebrates this day as "Thinking Day" as it is the shared birthday of the Scouts' founder Sir Robert Baden-Powell, and his wife, Lady Olave Baden-Powell, the World Chief Guide.
- Roman Catholic Church - Feast of the Chair of Saint Peter.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 22 February
- Nicholas Courtney: Egyptian-English actor (d. 2011).
- A 6.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Christchurch, New Zealand at only 5 kilometers from the surface, causing widespread damage and hundreds of fatalities.
- March 14 ampndash Uncertainty over Libyan oil output causes crude oil prices to rise 20% over a two-week period following the Arab Spring, causing the 2011 energy crisis.
- 2011 Libyan civil war:
- The leader of Libya Muammar Gaddafi appears on state television to disprove claims that he has fled. (BBC)
- The runways at Benina International Airport in Benghazi have been destroyed. (Reuters via News 24)
- The United Nations Security Council holds a closed-door meeting in response to the crackdown in Libya (''The Guardian'')
- Colonel Gaddafi gives a major speech claiming that he will remain head of the revolution. (BBC)
- Abdul Fatah Younis, the Libyan Interior Minister and general in the Libyan Army, defects. (Al Jazeera)
- The old monarchy-era flag, which has become a popular symbol among anti-government protesters, is hoisted at the Libyan embassy in Stockholm, Sweden. (Canadian Press via Google News)
- Peru suspends diplomatic relations with Libya, becoming the first nation to do so since the unrest, and calls on the United Nations Security Council to introduce a no-fly zone over Libyan airspace to stop Libyan Air Force aircraft attacking civilians (BBC)
- 2011 Yemeni protests:
- Clashes take place between pro and anti-government demonstrators across the country. (AFP via Google News)
- Armed supporters of the Government of Yemen kill two students and wound another eleven students conducting a sit-in at Sanaa University demanding the resignation of the President of Yemen Ali Abdullah Saleh. (AFP via SBS)
- 2010-2011 Algerian protests:
- The Algerian government adopts a draft law lifting the state of emergency in the country, in place since 1992. (BBC)
- 2011 Iranian protests: Iranian security forces arrest the son of opposition leader Mehdi Karroubi. 's-son-arrested (Reuters via SBS News Australia)
- Jamaican reggae singer Buju Banton is found guilty on drugs charges in the U.S. state of Florida. (Go Jamaica)
- Moody's Investors Service downgrades Japan's credit rating due to concerns over high levels of government debt. (Bloomberg)
- Uncertainty in Libya leads to falls in world stock markets and increases in crude oil prices. (''Wall Street Journal'')
- 2011 Canterbury earthquake:
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 2011 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 22 February 2011 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?