Monday 22 June 1959
It was Monday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of June people in US were listening to The Battle Of New Orleans by Johnny Horton.
In UK Roulette by Russ Conway was in the top 5 hits.
Darby O'Gill and the Little People, directed by Robert Stevenson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1959.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 22 June 1959!
Which were the important events of 22 June 1959 ?
- Wayne Federman: American comedian actor and author.
- Mike O'Meara: American radio personality.
- Ed Viesturs: American mountaineer.
- Michael Kinane: Irish flat racing jockey.
- Eddie Kidd: British motorcycle stunt rider.
- Daniel Xuereb: French football (soccer) striker, who earned eight international caps (one goal) for the French national team during the 1980s. A player of RC Lens (1981–1986), he was a member of the French team in the 1986 FIFA World Cup, after having won the gold medal at the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles, California, scoring in the Gold Medal game itself.
- Stéphane Sirkis: French musician in the new wave band Indochine, along with his twin brother Nicola Sirkis.
- Nicola Sirkis: French frontman and singer of the pop-rock band Indochine, born to a Moldavian father. This group, inspired by The Cure and the Belgian comic strip "Bob Morane", has been active for more than 30 years.
- Hermann Brill: German lawyer and politician 8th Minister-President of Thuringia (d. 1959).
- Along Came Jones by Coasters peaks at #9
- Class by Chubby Checker peaks at #38
- Most Phillies strike out in a game (16 by Sandy Koufax)
- Shunryu Suzuki completes his historical Japan to SF voyage
- Vanguard SLV-6 launched for Earth orbit (failed).
- Eddie Lubanski bowls two consecutive perfect games.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Johnny Horton - The Battle Of New Orleans
- Lloyd Price - Personality
- Bobby Darin - Dream Lover
- Paul Anka - Lonely Boy
- Wilbert Harrison - Kansas City
- Martin Denny - Quiet Village
- Freddy Cannon - Tallahassee Lassie
- Dion and the Belmonts - A Teenager In Love
- The Coasters - Along Came Jones
- Connie Francis - Lipstick On Your Collar
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?