Sunday 22 September 1957
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Lynn Herring in Enid and Pete Jones.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Tammy by Debbie Reynolds.
In UK Diana by Paul Anka was in the top 5 hits.
Jet Pilot, directed by Josef von Sternberg, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while By Love Possessed by James Gould Cozzens was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Harbormaster.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 22 September 1957!
Which were the important events of 22 September 1957 ?
- Saint Emmeramus
- Saint Florentius
- In ancient Latvia, the first day of Mikeli, the Catching of Jumis.
- In ancient Greece, the ninth and final day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates made offerings to the dead.
- Saint Jonas
- RC Saints - It has been or still is the feast day of the following saints: Saints Digna & Emerita
- In Europe and in cities throughout the world, Car Free Day.
- Mali - Independence Day (from France, 1960)
- Bulgaria - Independence Day 1908
- French Republican Calendar - Raisin (Grape) Day, first day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Saint Thomas of Villanueva
- Saint Sanctinus
- Saint Salaberga
- Saint Phocas
- Saint Maurice
- Saint Lolanus
- Saint Lioba
- Saint Lauto
- Autumnal equinox in the Northern hemisphere, Vernal equinox in the Southern hemisphere 1996, 2000, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2012 (by UT).
- Lynn Herring in Enid: Oklahoma, USA; actress (Lucy - General Hospital).
- Pete Jones: Rocker.
- Philip Arnold Blackmar: San Diego, California -- PGA golfer (1988 Provident).
- Mark Johnson in Madison: Wisconsin, USA; NHL forward (Olympic-gold-1980, Pittsburgh Penguins, New Jersey Devils).
- Phil Blackmar: American professional golf player, a member of the PGA Tour and one-time rookie-of-the-year.
- Daniel O'Connor: American pan am flight 103 crash victim. Died on 21 December 1988 at 7:03 pm of a bomb explosion on the plane.
- Giuseppe Saronni: Italian cyclist also known as Beppe Saronni.
- Nick Cave: Australian musician
- Steve Carney: English footballer (d. 2013)
- Johnette Napolitano: American singer-songwriter and bass player (Concrete Blonde)
- Soemu Toyoda: Japanese admiral (Born 1885).
- Maverick premieres
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 22 September 1957
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Debbie Reynolds - Tammy
- Paul Anka - Diana
- Jerry Lee Lewis - Whole Lot Of Shakin' Going On
- The Crickets - That'll Be The Day
- Elvis Presley - (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
- Jimmie Rodgers - Honeycomb
- Russ Hamilton - Rainbow
- The Bobbettes - Mr. Lee
- The Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love
- The Coasters - Searchin'
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?