Thursday 23 April 1936
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Things to Come, directed by William Cameron Menzies, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1936
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 April 1936!
Which were the important events of 23 April 1936 ?
- Saint Gerard (d.1138)
- UNESCO International Day of the Book in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Turkey - National Sovereignty and Children's Day (1920)
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut (Israeli Independence Day) for 2007: (the observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar).
- Independence Day for the Conch Republic
- National Beer Day in Germany
- Feast Day of Saint George: Patron saint and National Day of England
- Patron saint of the Spanish region of Arag=n
- Celebrated as St. Jordi's Day in Catalonia, presents of books and roses. See above.
- Catalonia - Lover's Day. Men receive a book as a gift from their romantic interest, while women receive roses. The book is in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Saint Adalbert of Prague
- Jurgi festival, in ancient Latvia
- Roy Orbison in Vernon: Texas, USA; rocker ("Pretty Woman", "Only The Lonely") (dies 1988).
- Elias [Etienne Michiels]: Flemish painter.
- Estelle Harris: Actress (Estelle Castanza-Seinfeld).
- Joseph Willaert: Flemish painter.
- Roy Orbison: American singer and rock and roll songwriter with an original style and stunning tenor voice that earned him the name "The Caruso of Rock.
- Teresa de la Parra: Venezuelan writer (Born 1889).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 23 April 1936 and get them!