Saturday 23 April 1949
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
The Secret Garden, directed by Fred M. Wilcox, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1949.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 April 1949!
Which were the important events of 23 April 1949 ?
- Saint Gerard (d.1138)
- UNESCO International Day of the Book in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Turkey - National Sovereignty and Children's Day (1920)
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut (Israeli Independence Day) for 2007: (the observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar).
- Independence Day for the Conch Republic
- National Beer Day in Germany
- Feast Day of Saint George: Patron saint and National Day of England
- Patron saint of the Spanish region of Arag=n
- Celebrated as St. Jordi's Day in Catalonia, presents of books and roses. See above.
- Catalonia - Lover's Day. Men receive a book as a gift from their romantic interest, while women receive roses. The book is in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Saint Adalbert of Prague
- Jurgi festival, in ancient Latvia
- Blair Brown in Washington DC: USA; actress (Altered States, Molly Dodd).
- Joyce DeWitt in Wheeling: West Virginia, USA; actress (Janet Wood - Three's Company).
- John Miles vocal/guitar/keyboards (John Miles Band - "Rebel": "Zaragon").
- Walter Sweeney: British Member of Parliament.
- Joyce DeWitt: American actress most famous for playing Janet Wood on the ABC sitcom Three's Company (1977–1984).
- Chinese Red army conquerors Nanjing
- Courtesy mail boxes for motorists started in San Francisco
- Netherlands annexes Elten and Tudderen.
- Chinese Civil War: Establishment of the People's Liberation Army Navy.
- Chinese Communist troops take Nanjing.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1949 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Riders in the Sky (A Cowboy Legend) - Vaughn Monroe & His Orchestra
- Again - Gordon Jenkins & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?