Saturday 23 April 1955
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Su Ingle and Stefano Bellone.
In that special week of April people in US were listening to The Ballad Of Davy Crockett by Bill Hayes.
In UK Give Me Your Word by Tennessee Ernie Ford was in the top 5 hits.
Marty, directed by Delbert Mann, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while The View From Pompey'S Head by Hamilton Basso was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Damon Runyon Theater.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1955.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 April 1955!
Which were the important events of 23 April 1955 ?
- Saint Gerard (d.1138)
- UNESCO International Day of the Book in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Turkey - National Sovereignty and Children's Day (1920)
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut (Israeli Independence Day) for 2007: (the observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar).
- Independence Day for the Conch Republic
- National Beer Day in Germany
- Feast Day of Saint George: Patron saint and National Day of England
- Patron saint of the Spanish region of Arag=n
- Celebrated as St. Jordi's Day in Catalonia, presents of books and roses. See above.
- Catalonia - Lover's Day. Men receive a book as a gift from their romantic interest, while women receive roses. The book is in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Saint Adalbert of Prague
- Jurgi festival, in ancient Latvia
- Su Ingle: British TV hostess.
- Stefano Bellone: Italian soccer team member at the Los Angeles Olympics in 1984.
- Bertrand Renaudin: French jazz and funk composer and drummer.
- Judy Davis: Perth, Western Australia -- Actress (Husbands & Wives).
- Fumi Hirano: Japanese voice actress and essayist.
- Tony Miles: English chess player (d. 2001)
- Urmas Ott: Estonian journalist and author (d. 2008)
- Mike Smith: English radio and television host (d. 2014)
- Robert H Woltjer: classical/AR-First-Member of parliament, dies at age 76.
- Kismet closes at Ziegfeld Theater NYC after 583 performances
- Betsy Rawls wins LPGA Carrollton Golf Open.
- The Canadian Labour Congress is formed by the merger of the Trades and Labour Congress of Canada and the Canadian Congress of Labour.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1955 ?
Top #7 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?