Tuesday 23 August 1949
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Christopher Blake and John Bauldie.
Madame Bovary, directed by Vincente Minnelli, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
On TV people were watching Hands of Mystery.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 August 1949!
Which were the important events of 23 August 1949 ?
- Astrology - Last day of sun sign Leo in the tropical zodiac
- Swaziland - Umhlanga Day
- Romania - Liberation Day (1944)
- RC Saints - Saint Rose of Lima
- Roman festivals - Vulcanalia
- Christopher Blake: Actor (Alexa).
- John Bauldie: Music journalist / dylanologist.
- Pieter J Biesheuvel: Lawyer / Dutch MP (CDA).
- Woody Paul [Paul Chrisman]: Nashville, Tennessee -- Singer (Riders in the Sky).
- Shelley Long in Fort Wayne: Indiana, USA; actress (Diane - Cheers, The Money Pit).
- Katiana Balanika: Greek actress and singer
- Vicky Leandros: Greek-German pop singer..
- Shelley Long: American actress, comedienne, talk show hostess, and head of her own production company, best known for the TV series "Cheers." She received local Emmy awards for her TV magazine show, two Golden Globes, and an Emmy.
- Rick Springfield: Australian singer, a teen idol turned soap star turned platinum-selling rocker who has sold 18 million albums. After a brief spin in the spotlight as a '70s teen sensation, the Aussie-born singer roared back in the early '80s as a double-threat sex symbol. On daytime's top-ranked soap "General Hospital," he played heartthrob Dr. Noah Drake 1981-83; off-screen, his 181 single "Jessie's Girl" hit No. I. But by mid-decade, exhaustion and a failed bid at movie stardom sent Springfield skidding into
- Leslie Van Houten: American homicide, one of the Manson family involved in the Tate-La Bianca killings of August 1969. Van Houten was convicted along with Manson, but was free in 1978 on $200,000 bail while awaiting retrial. She was given a life sentence.
- Jacques Weber: French actor, director and writer.
- William Craig: American apologist and theologian
- Geoff Capes: English shot putter and strongman
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1949 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- You're Breaking My Heart - Buddy Clark
- Jo Stafford & Gordon MacRae - Whispering Hope
- Someday (You'll Want Me To Want You) - Mills Brothers
- You're Breaking My Heart - Ink Spots
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?