Wednesday 23 August 1950
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
No Way Out, directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1950
while The Cardinal by Henry Morton Robinson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1950.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 August 1950!
Which were the important events of 23 August 1950 ?
- Astrology - Last day of sun sign Leo in the tropical zodiac
- Swaziland - Umhlanga Day
- Romania - Liberation Day (1944)
- RC Saints - Saint Rose of Lima
- Roman festivals - Vulcanalia
- Gigi Del Neri: Italian coach of the soccer team Chievo.
- Alan Tam: Hong Kong singer and actor (The Wynners).
- Edson Queiroz: Brazilian psychic surgeon, a medical doctor who had his license revoked for surgeries by unorthodox methods.
- Jack Holden wins marathon (2:32:12)
- West Germany and Japan readmitted to International Amateur Athletic Federation.
- Legendary singer-actor Paul Robeson, whose passport had recently been revoked because of his alleged Communist affiliations, meets with U.S. officials in an effort to get it reinstated. He is unsuccessful, and it is not reinstated until 1958.
- Darlington Raceway is the site of the inaugural Southern 500, the first 500-mile NASCAR race.
- The comic strip ''Beetle Bailey'' is created by Mort Walker.
- A coal mine collapse in New Cumnock, Scotland, kills 13 miners 116 are rescued.
- The game show ''Truth or Consequences'' debuts on television.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1950 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?