Thursday 23 August 1979
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Chingo Bling and Bilal .
In that special week of August people in US were listening to My Sharona by The Knack.
In UK I Don't Like Mondays by The Boomtown Rats was in the top 5 hits.
Life of Brian, directed by Terry Jones, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while Sophie'S Choice by William Styron was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Carol Burnett & Company.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Adventure or Football.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 August 1979!
Which were the important events of 23 August 1979 ?
- Astrology - Last day of sun sign Leo in the tropical zodiac
- Swaziland - Umhlanga Day
- Romania - Liberation Day (1944)
- RC Saints - Saint Rose of Lima
- Roman festivals - Vulcanalia
- Chingo Bling: Rapper.
- Bilal : Rapper.
- Jessica Bibby: Australian basketball player.
- Saskia Clark: English sailor.
- Ritchie Neville: English singer and actor (Five).
- Richard Hearne: Actor (Captain Horatio Hornblower), dies at 70.
- Iran army opens offensive against Kurds
- Bolshoi Ballet dancer Alexander Godunov defects in New York City.
- Soviet dancer Alexander Godunov defects to the United States.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 23 August 1979
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Knack - My Sharona
- Chic - Good Times
- Barbra Streisand - The Main Event & Fight
- Earth, Wind and Fire - After The Love Has Gone
- Donna Summer - Bad Girls
- Electric Light Orchestra - Don't Bring Me Down
- Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia
- Maxine Nightingale - Lead Me On
- Elton John - Mama Can't Buy You Love
- Robert John - Sad Eyes
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?