Wednesday 23 August 1989
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Breanna Conrad and Lianne La Havas.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx.
In UK Swing The Mood by Jive Bunny & The Mastermixers was in the top 5 hits.
Little Monsters, directed by Richard Alan Greenberg, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while Polar Star by Martin Cruz Smith was one of the best selling books.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Friday the 13th or Gekitotsu Shiku Battle.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 August 1989!
Which were the important events of 23 August 1989 ?
- Astrology - Last day of sun sign Leo in the tropical zodiac
- Swaziland - Umhlanga Day
- Romania - Liberation Day (1944)
- RC Saints - Saint Rose of Lima
- Roman festivals - Vulcanalia
- Breanna Conrad: American reality television star.
- Lianne La Havas: Folk Singer.
- Heiko Schwarz: German footballer.
- LA Dodgers beat Montreal Expos, 1-0, in 22 innings (Rick Dempsey HR)
- Lewis / Everett / Burrell / Heard run world record 4x200 m (1:19.38)
- Yusef Hawkins is shot in the Bensonhurst section of Brooklyn, New York, sparking racial tensions between African Americans and Italian Americans.
- Singing Revolution: two million people from Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania stand on the Vilnius-Tallinn road, holding hands (Baltic Way).
- Hungary: the last communist government opens the Iron curtain and causes the exodus of thousands of Eastern Germans to West Germany via Hungary (September 11).
- 1,645 Australian domestic airline pilots resign after the airlines threaten to fire them and sue them over a dispute.
- Colombia's cocaine traffickers declare ampquottotal and absolute warampquot against the government and begin a series of bombings and arson attacks.
- ''Voyager 2'' makes its closest approach to Neptune.
- Record-setting baseball player Pete Rose agrees to a lifetime ban from the sport following allegations of illegal gambling, thereby preventing his induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
- Indonesia's first privately owned television station, Rajawali Citra Televisi Indonesia, (RCTI) begins broadcasting.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Richard Marx - Right Here Waiting
- Paula Abdul - Cold Hearted
- New Kids On The Block - Hangin' Tough
- Gloria Estefan - Don't Wanna Lose You
- Bobby Brown - On Our Own
- Karyn White - Secret Rendezvous
- Great White - Once Bitten Twice Shy
- Don Henley - The End Of The Innocence
- Jody Watley - Friends
- The Jeff Healey Band - Angel Eyes
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?