Saturday 23 August 2008
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Disturbia by Rihanna.
Slumdog Millionaire, directed by Danny Boyle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2008.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 August 2008!
Which were the important events of 23 August 2008 ?
- Astrology - Last day of sun sign Leo in the tropical zodiac
- Swaziland - Umhlanga Day
- Romania - Liberation Day (1944)
- RC Saints - Saint Rose of Lima
- Roman festivals - Vulcanalia
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 23 August
- John Russell: British nobility, the 13th Duke of Bedford, a character of the British establishment and author of "The Book of Snobs.
- Two journalists and three other people are abducted by gunmen near Elasha, Somalia. (CTV News)
- The death toll from Tropical Storm Fay in Florida rises to 11. (AP via ''Los Angeles Times'')
- A King Air A-100 crashes near Moab, Utah, USA, resulting in the death of the pilot and nine passengers. (AP via ''Las Vegas Review-Journal)
- The United States Department of Health and Human Services announces plans to implement a rule that would protect healthcare workers from being fired or otherwise penalized for refusing to provide services they find morally objectionable, such as performing abortions or dispensing contraception. (''The Washington Post'')
- U.S. presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama picks Senator Joe Biden as his vice-presidential running mate. (CNN)
- War in North-West Pakistan: A suicide bomber attacks a police station in Swat, NWFP, killing at least six officers and injuring several more. (AP via ''Contra Costa Times'')
- 2008 South Ossetia war:
- Russia announces that its military has pulled out of Georgia, although reports indicate that it has not complied with the cease-fire agreement. (CNN)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2008 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?