Thursday 23 December 1948
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Wake of the Red Witch, directed by Edward Ludwig, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1948.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 December 1948!
Which were the important events of 23 December 1948 ?
- Festivus (from sitcom Seinfeld)
- Oaxaca - Night of the Radishes
- Secular humanism (American) - HumanLight observed
- R.C. Saints - John Cantius ; Thorlac Thorhallsson, patron saint of Iceland
- Sweden - Birthday of Queen Silvia, an official flag day
- Japan - The Emperor's Birthday - Birthday of Akihito, the current Emperor of Japan
- Roman festivals - Larentalia, a festival in honor of Larenta
- Ancient Latvia - Ziemassvetki held
- Hubert Brin: French president of 'L’Union nationale des associations familiales' (UNAF), a national family institution.
- David Davis: English politician Minister of State for Europe.
- Jim Ferguson: American guitarist, composer, educator, author, and music journalist.
- Jack Ham: American football player and sportscaster.
- Charles Herbert: American actor (d. 2015).
- Rick Wohlhuter: American runner
- Leslie Moonves: American television executive
- Carlos Garcia Escobar: Guatemalan anthropologist and writer, has dedicated his life to the study of traditional dances.
- Hideki Tojo: Prime Minister of Japan (1941-44) and 6 Japanese, hanged for war crimes at 64.
- Seven Japanese convicted of war crimes by the International Military Tribunal for the Far East are executed at Sugamo Prison in Tokyo.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?