Sunday 23 December 1951
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Johnny Contardo and Anthony Phillips.
Rashomon, directed by Akira Kurosawa, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1951
while The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Roy Rogers Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 December 1951!
Which were the important events of 23 December 1951 ?
- Festivus (from sitcom Seinfeld)
- Oaxaca - Night of the Radishes
- Secular humanism (American) - HumanLight observed
- R.C. Saints - John Cantius ; Thorlac Thorhallsson, patron saint of Iceland
- Sweden - Birthday of Queen Silvia, an official flag day
- Japan - The Emperor's Birthday - Birthday of Akihito, the current Emperor of Japan
- Roman festivals - Larentalia, a festival in honor of Larenta
- Ancient Latvia - Ziemassvetki held
- Johnny Contardo: Singer (Sha Na Na).
- Anthony Phillips: English guitarist and songwriter (Genesis).
- Shōfukutei Tsurube: Japanese actor.
- 1st coast-to-coast televised football game (Dumont paid $75,000) LA Rams beat Cleveland Browns 24-17 in NFL championship game
- Last Belgian communities get electricity.
- John Huston's drama film, ''The African Queen'', starring Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn, premieres in Hollywood.
- Libya becomes independent from Italy.
- Gian-Carlo Menotti's 45-minute opera, ''Amahl and the Night Visitors'', premieres live on NBC, becoming the first opera written especially for television.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 23 December 1951
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1951 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?