Monday 23 December 1968
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of December people in US were listening to I Heard It Through The Grapevine by Marvin Gaye.
In UK Lily The Pink by The Scaffold was in the top 5 hits.
The Wrecking Crew, directed by Phil Karlson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1968
while The Salzburg Connection by Helen MacInnes was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 December 1968!
Which were the important events of 23 December 1968 ?
- Festivus (from sitcom Seinfeld)
- Oaxaca - Night of the Radishes
- Secular humanism (American) - HumanLight observed
- R.C. Saints - John Cantius ; Thorlac Thorhallsson, patron saint of Iceland
- Sweden - Birthday of Queen Silvia, an official flag day
- Japan - The Emperor's Birthday - Birthday of Akihito, the current Emperor of Japan
- Roman festivals - Larentalia, a festival in honor of Larenta
- Ancient Latvia - Ziemassvetki held
- Yarol Poupaud: French musician, guitarist and multi-instrumentalist, brother of actor Melvil Poupaud.
- Lucy Bell: English-Australian actress.
- Karyn Bryant: American journalist actress producer and screenwriter.
- Quincy Jones: English-Swedish songwriter and producer.
- Barry Kooser: American painter and animator.
- Manuel Rivera-Ortiz: Puerto Rican-American photographer
- Olga Shishigina: Kazakhstani hurdler
- René Tretschok: German footballer and manager
- Quincy Jones III: Swedish-American musician
- 1st US case of space motion sickness
- Borman, Lovell and Anders become 1st men to orbit Moon
- North Korea releases Pueblo crew
- First documented US case of space motion sickness.
- The crew of Apollo 8 (Borman, Lovell, and Anders) become first men to orbit Moon.
- The 82 sailors from the USS Pueblo are released after eleven months of internment in North Korea.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1968 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Diana Ross and the Supremes - I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
- Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman
- The Temptations - Cloud Nine
- Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine
- Diana Ross and the Supremes - Love Child
- Stevie Wonder - For Once In My Life
- Dion - Abraham, Martin And John
- Johnnie Taylor - Who's Making Love
- Classics IV - Stormy
- Bobby Vinton - I Love How You Love Me
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 23 December 1968 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?