Sunday 23 December 1979
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Kenny Miller and Holly Madison.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Escape (The Pina Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes.
In UK Another Brick In The Wall by Pink Floyd was in the top 5 hits.
Scavenger Hunt, directed by Michael Schultz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while The Establishment by Howard Fast was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching D'artagnan and Three Musketeers.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Lunar Rescue or Star Raiders.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 December 1979!
Which were the important events of 23 December 1979 ?
- Festivus (from sitcom Seinfeld)
- Oaxaca - Night of the Radishes
- Secular humanism (American) - HumanLight observed
- R.C. Saints - John Cantius ; Thorlac Thorhallsson, patron saint of Iceland
- Sweden - Birthday of Queen Silvia, an official flag day
- Japan - The Emperor's Birthday - Birthday of Akihito, the current Emperor of Japan
- Roman festivals - Larentalia, a festival in honor of Larenta
- Ancient Latvia - Ziemassvetki held
- Kenny Miller: Scottish football player.
- Holly Madison: American model.
- Summer Altice: American model and actress.
- Abraham Chebii: Kenyan runner.
- Scott Gomez: American ice hockey player.
- Megan Mayhew: Megan Mayhew Bergman American author and educator
- Yukifumi Murakami: Japanese javelin thrower
- Peggy Guggenheim: American-Italian art collector and philanthropist (d. 1979).
- New York Islanders' greatest shutout loss (8-0) versus Chicago Black Hawks.
- Soviet war in Afghanistan: Soviet forces occupy Kabul, the Afghan capital.
- The highest aerial tramway in Europe, the Klein Matterhorn, opens.
- The Soviet Union invades Afghanistan, and Babrak Karmal replaces overthrown and executed President Hafizullah Amin which begins the war.
- The first European Ariane rocket is launched.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 23 December 1979
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Rupert Holmes - Escape (The Pina Colada Song)
- K.C and the Sunshine Band - Please Don't Go
- Styx - Babe
- Stevie Wonder - Send One Your Love
- Commodores - Still
- Captain and Tennille - Do That To Me One More Time
- J.D. Souther - You're Only Lonely
- Barbra Streisand - No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)
- Kool & The Gang - Ladies Night
- Supertramp - Take The Long Way Home
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?