Sunday 23 July 1961
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Antoine Carr and Woody Harrelson in Midland.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Tossin' And Turnin' by Bobby Lewis.
In UK Runaway by Del Shannon was in the top 5 hits.
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, directed by Irwin Allen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 July 1961!
Which were the important events of 23 July 1961 ?
- Egypt - Revolution Day (1952)
- St. Liborius
- Catholic - the feasts of at least 2 saints: St. Apollinaris
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the birthday of Haile Selassie
- Roman Empire - Neptunalia held in honor of Neptune
- Libya - Revolution Day
- Papua New Guinea - Remembrance Day
- Antoine Carr: NBA forward / center (Utah Jazz).
- Woody Harrelson in Midland: Texas, USA; actor (Woody Boyd - Cheers).
- Andre Ducharme: Quebecois humorist and comedian.
- Robin Lawford: American noted family, the daughter of actor Peter Lawford and his wife, Patricia Kennedy.
- Woody Harrelson: TV Actor.
- André Ducharme: Canadian comedian and author
- Michael Durant: American pilot and author
- Martin Gore: English singer-songwriter guitarist and producer (Depeche Mode and VCMG)
- Esther Dale: Actress (Birdie-Ma & Pa Kettle), dies after surgery at 75.
- Betsy Rawls wins LPGA Cosmopolitan Golf Open
- The Sandinista National Liberation Front is founded in Nicaragua.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 23 July 1961
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'
- Brook Benton - The Boll Weevil Song
- Gary U.S. Bonds - Quarter To Three
- Dee Clark - Raindrops
- Arthur Lyman Group - Yellow Bird
- Adam Wade - The Writing On The Wall
- Del Shannon - Hats Off To Larry
- Pips - Every Beat Of My Heart
- Floyd Cramer - San Antonio Rose
- Chris Kenner - I Like It Like That, Part 1
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?