Friday 23 July 2010
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to California Gurls by Katy Perry.
Erotikon, directed by Mauritz Stiller, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 July 2010!
Which were the important events of 23 July 2010 ?
- Egypt - Revolution Day (1952)
- St. Liborius
- Catholic - the feasts of at least 2 saints: St. Apollinaris
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the birthday of Haile Selassie
- Roman Empire - Neptunalia held in honor of Neptune
- Libya - Revolution Day
- Papua New Guinea - Remembrance Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 23 July
- Daniel Schorr: American journalist and author (d. 2010).
- Nigerian part of Jos is sealed off as police search the city following the discovery of a booby-trap bomb. (BBC)
- North Korea responds to nearby joint United States-South Korean military exercises by stating that the acts resemble 19th century ampquotgunboat diplomacyampquot, describing them as ampquota threat to the Korean peninsula and the region of Asia as a wholeampquot. (BBC)
- One person is killed and 42 injured after a Swiss tourist train derails in the Alps. (AP)
- Israel Defense Forces soldiers kill a Palestinian man attempting to enter the Israeli settlement of Barkan. (''Jerusalem Post'')
- The United Nations Human Rights Council appoints Sir Desmond de Silva of Britain, Karl Hudson-Phillips of Trinidad and Tobago, and Mary Shanth Dairiam of Malaysia to investigate the Gaza flotilla raid. (Radio New Zealand)
- Guinea and Djibouti pledge to contribute troops towards the African Union Mission supporting the Transitional Federal Government in Somalia. (AP)
- The legal case over ''Precious'' is dismissed. (BBC)
- The Diocese of Rome criticises homosexual priests, accusing them of leading a ampquotdouble lifeampquot and advising them to leave the priesthood. (''The Guardian'')
- Singer Billy Corgan collapses during a performance of ampquotBullet with Butterfly Wingsampquot in the United States. (''Daily Mail'')
- ''Black Swan'' is announced as the opening film of the 67th Venice International Film Festival. (BBC)
- The band, One Direction, is formed in the 7th series of the television show, X Factor UK (www.starpulse.com)
- Alarms on the ''Deepwater Horizon'' oil rig are found to have been disabled before the explosion and subsequent oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. (''The Guardian'')
- Serbia states its intention to never recognize Kosovo's independence after International Court of Justice's yesterday ruling. (BBC)
- Venezuela severs diplomatic relations with Colombia after Colombia claims Venezuela is a ampquothaven for guerrillasampquot. (Samaylive News)
- A Dutch court finds Trafigura guilty of illegally dumping toxic waste in Côte d'Ivoire in 2006. (''The Guardian'')
- Two Spaniards and a journalist sue Prime Minister of Israel Benjamin Netanyahu, plus other Israeli ministers and officials, as a result of the Gaza flotilla raid. (''The Irish Times'')
- An investigation by ''The Independent'' uncovers the first evidence of a UK-based rendition recruitment drive, free of American involvement, suggesting MI5 was directly involved in the 2004 ampquotillegalampquot transfer of a Moroccan national from a Belgian prison to London. (''The Independent'')
- Michael Conahan, a former judge in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania, pleas guilty to racketeering conspiracy by assisting in the jailing of juvenile defendants in return for bribes. (''The Washington Post'')
- China sentences an Uyghur journalist who spoke to foreign media after riots in Xinjiang last year to 15 years imprisonment. (Reuters Africa)
- A court in the U.S. state of Arizona listens to challenges to the state's policy against illegal immigrants. (BBC)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2010 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?