Friday 23 June 2006
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of June people in US were listening to Hips Don't Lie by Shakira.
In UK I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker (With Flowers In My Hair) by Sandi Thom was in the top 5 hits.
The Devil Wears Prada, directed by David Frankel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2006
while The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Three Sheets.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Ar tonelico: Melody of Elemia or Climate Challenge.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 June 2006!
Which were the important events of 23 June 2006 ?
- J??i (L?go) - Latvia
- Saint Jonas Day - Lithuania
- The Happiest day of the year is June 23 according to a recent study completed by the Cardiff University in Cardiff, Wales (a part of the Russell Group of British universities). 
- National holiday - Luxembourg
- Midsummer's Eve, Christianized the eve of the feast of Saint John the Baptist, is celebrated in much of Northern Europe and the British Islands
- Victory Day - Estonia
- Father's Day - Poland
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 23 June
- Luke Graham: American wrestler (Born 1940).
- In Miami, Florida, the Federal Bureau of Investigation arrests seven men, accusing them of planning to bomb the Sears Tower and other attacks in Miami.
- Human Rights Watch estimates that several hundred civilians in eastern Chad have been massacred by Sudanese Janjaweed and UFDC attacks in the past week alone. HRW also accuses the Government of Sudan of using child soldiers. HRW Africa Director Peter Takirambudde refers to the attacks as ampquothavoc,ampquot and that civilians ampquotare trapped between the carnage in Darfur and Chad's downward spiral into chaos.ampquot (CNN)
- Director of the United States Missile Defense Agency, Air Force Lt. Gen. Henry A. Obering III, stated that he is ampquotvery confidentampquot any North Korean missile headed towards the United States would be destroyed mid-flight by interceptor missiles if approved by the President. (Associated Press)
- U.S. President George W. Bush has issued an executive order stating that he will limit taking of private property by the federal government and that it must ampquotbenefit... the general public...and not merely for the purpose of economic interest of private properties...ampquot (White House Press Release)
- Saddam Hussein has ended a brief hunger strike, after missing one meal in his prison. He did this in protest of the killing of one of his lawyers. (Reuters)
- A United States warship is reported to have shot down a missile in the Pacific, in a test of their now operational sea-based missile defense system. (AFP)
- Harriet, a Galapagos tortoise, has died at age 176. Harriet was one of the oldest known animals in the world. (Sydney Morning Herald)
- Norman Mineta announces his resignation as United States Secretary of Transportation effective from July 7, 2006. (Associated Press)
- ''The New York Times'' publishes a major story on the Terrorist Finance Tracking Program, a secret CIA surveillance of international private banking for the last five years via the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT) and rejects government requests to withdraw it. (NYT)
- Prime Minister of Poland Kazimierz Marcinkiewicz announced a dismissal of Zyta Gilowska, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance. PM's advisor Paweł Wojciechowski was introduced as her successor. Kazimierz Marcinkiewicz declared that Gilowska's policy will be continued. (CNN)
- Actor, singer, dancer, and television producer Aaron Spelling dies at age 83 due to complications from the stroke that had occurred five days before on 18 June 2006. There was a private funeral several days later.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 23 June 2006
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 2006 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?