It was Wednesday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in October 1940 ?
- North West Mounted Police
directed by Cecil B. DeMille
starring: Gary Cooper, Madeleine Carroll, Paulette Goddard
- Christmas in July
directed by Preston Sturges
starring: Dick Powell, Ellen Drew, Raymond Walburn
- The Great Dictator
directed by Charles Chaplin
starring: Charles Chaplin, Paulette Goddard, Jack Oakie
- The Long Voyage Home
directed by John Ford
starring: John Wayne, Thomas Mitchell, Ian Hunter
- Too Many Girls
directed by George Abbott
starring: Lucille Ball, Richard Carlson, Ann Miller
Which were the important events of Wednesday, 23 October 1940 ?
Famous People born
- Chemistry: Mole Day
- Astrology: First day of sun sign Scorpio in Western tropical astrology.
- Hungary - National Day (revolution of 1956 and the proclamation of the Republic of Hungary in 1989)
- Also see October 23 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- R.C. Saints - Saint Giovanni da Capistrano; Anicius Manlius Severinus Boethius
- French Republican Calendar - CTleri (Celery) Day, second day in the Month of Brumaire
: Liverpool, England -- Rock drummer (Gerry & The Pacemakers)
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1940 ?
Esquire Magazine cover
TIME Magazine Cover: Wendell Willkie -- Oct. 21, 1940
How Green Was My Valley - Richard Llewellyn
Kitty Foyle - Christopher Morle
Mrs. Miniver - Jan Struther
For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingwa
Hotel Nacional De Cuba Havana Vintage (1940)
Studebaker Champion Car (1940)
Peter Dawson Scotch Men! Demand Dimples (1940)
Tell the world why Wednesday, 23 October 1940 is such a special date for you!