It was Sunday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in September 1951 ?
- No Highway in the Sky
directed by Henry Koster
starring: James Stewart, Marlene Dietrich, Glynis Johns
- A Streetcar Named Desire
directed by Elia Kazan
starring: Vivien Leigh, Marlon Brando, Kim Hunter
- The Day the Earth Stood Still
directed by Robert Wise
starring: Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Hugh Marlowe
- Captain Horatio Hornblower R.N.
directed by Raoul Walsh
starring: Gregory Peck, Virginia Mayo, Robert Beatty
- The River
directed by Jean Renoir
starring: Patricia Walters, Nora Swinburne, Esmond Knight
Which were the important events of Sunday, 23 September 1951 ?
Famous People born
- RC Saints - Feast day of Saint Adomnan of Iona, Saint Constantius, Saint Thecla.
- French Republican Calendar - Safran (Saffron) Day, second day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Saudi Arabia - National Day (unification 1932)
- Japanese Autumnal equinox Day (????/Sh?bun no hi)
- Celebrate Bisexuality Day - September 23rd of every year is designated as Celebrate Bisexuality Day and celebrated by members of the bisexual community and their allies worldwide. Observed annually since 1999.
- Also see September 23 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In ancient Latvia, the second day of Mikeli
- Astrology: Usually the first day of sun sign Libra in the tropical zodiac.
- Traditional New Year's Day in Constantinople and Eastern Orthodox churches ? because of the birthday of August, not because of the equinox.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1951 ?
Esquire Magazine cover
TIME Magazine Cover: Kremlin Courier -- Sep. 17, 1951
From Here to Eternity - James Jones
The Caine Mutiny - Herman Wouk
Moses - Sholem Asch
The Cardinal - Henry Morton Robinson
Ford Trucks A.D. Makepeace Company Sold (1951)
Knox Tanbark Hat Horse Show Vintage Print Art (1951)
Raybestos Asbestos and Rubber Products (1951)
Tell the world why Sunday, 23 September 1951 is such a special date for you!