It was Sunday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in September 1951 ?
- No Highway in the Sky
directed by Henry Koster
starring: James Stewart, Marlene Dietrich, Glynis Johns
- A Streetcar Named Desire
directed by Elia Kazan
starring: Vivien Leigh, Marlon Brando, Kim Hunter
- The Day the Earth Stood Still
directed by Robert Wise
starring: Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Hugh Marlowe
- Captain Horatio Hornblower R.N.
directed by Raoul Walsh
starring: Gregory Peck, Virginia Mayo, Robert Beatty
- The River
directed by Jean Renoir
starring: Patricia Walters, Nora Swinburne, Esmond Knight
Send him/her your special wishes with this personalized page
Which were the important events of Sunday, 23 September 1951 ?
Famous People born
- RC Saints - Feast day of Saint Adomnan of Iona, Saint Constantius, Saint Thecla.
- French Republican Calendar - Safran (Saffron) Day, second day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Saudi Arabia - National Day (unification 1932)
- Japanese Autumnal equinox Day (????/Sh?bun no hi)
- Celebrate Bisexuality Day - September 23rd of every year is designated as Celebrate Bisexuality Day and celebrated by members of the bisexual community and their allies worldwide. Observed annually since 1999.
- Also see September 23 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In ancient Latvia, the second day of Mikeli
- Astrology: Usually the first day of sun sign Libra in the tropical zodiac.
- Traditional New Year's Day in Constantinople and Eastern Orthodox churches ? because of the birthday of August, not because of the equinox.
What news were making the headlines those days in September 1951 ?
TIME Magazine Cover: Kremlin Courier -- Sep. 17, 1951
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
From Here to Eternity
by James Jones
Diamond Head, Hawaii, 1941. Pvt. Robert E. Lee Prewitt is a champion welterweight and a fine bugler. But when he refuses to join the company's boxing team, he gets "the treatment" that may break him or kill him. First
The Caine Mutiny
by Herman Wouk
The Novel that Inspired the Now-Classic Film The Caine Mutiny and the Hit Broadway Play The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial Herman Wouk's boldly dramatic, brilliantly entertaining novel of life-and mutiny-on a Navy warship in the Pacific theater was immediately embraced, upon its original publication in 1951, as one of the first serious works of American fiction to grapple with the moral complexities and the human consequences of World War II.
by Sholem Asch
Hardcover: 505 pages
Publisher: GP Putnam's Sons, NY; First Edition edition (June 1951)
Product Dimensions: 8.3 x 6.1 x 1.5
by Henry Morton Robinson
On its first publication, The Cardinal was an immediate bestseller. A selection of the Literary Guild, it was published in more than a dozen languages and sold over two million copies.
Now our TV is better than new since we changed to a GE Picture Tube!
Griswold Fognozl True Solid Straight Stream (1951)
Samson Folding Chairs New York Yankees Phil Rizzuto (1951)
Tell the world why Sunday, 23 September 1951 is such a special date for you!