Wednesday 24 August 1960
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include David Guillory and Franz Vienboeck.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to It's Now Or Never by Elvis Presley.
In UK Please Don't Tease by Cliff Richard was in the top 5 hits.
G.I. Blues, directed by Norman Taurog, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 August 1960!
Which were the important events of 24 August 1960 ?
- Liberia: Flag Day
- RC Saints - Feast day of Saint Bartholomew
- Roman festivals - first of the 3 days on which the mundus was opened
- Ukraine: National Holiday, independence from Russia (1991)
- Sierra Leone: President's Birthday
- David Guillory: Jockey.
- Franz Vienboeck: Austria -- Cosmonaut (Soyuz TM-13).
- Kris Monaghan: Spokane, Washington -- Golfer (1990 Red Robin Kyocera Inamori).
- Steven W Lindsey: Arcadia, California -- Major USAF / Astronaut (STS 87, sk:95).
- Steven Lindsey: American astronaut, Lindsey received his bachelor of science degree in engineering sciences from the United States Air Force Academy.
- Cal Ripken: American baseball player: shortstop, Orioles
- Kim Christofte: Danish footballer
- Takashi Miike: Japanese actor director producer and screenwriter
- 60 people die when bus plunges off bridge into Turvo River, Brazil.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 24 August 1960
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - It's Now Or Never
- Brian Hyland - Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini
- The Ventures - Walk -- Don't Run
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
- Roy Orbison - Only The Lonely (Know The Way I Feel)
- Bobby Rydell - Volare
- Hank Ballard and the Midnighters - Finger Poppin' Time
- Donnie Brooks - Mission Bell
- Safaris - Image Of A Girl
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?