Thursday 24 August 1961
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Tossin' And Turnin' by Bobby Lewis.
In UK You Don't Know by Helen Shapiro was in the top 5 hits.
Purple Noon, directed by Ren Clment, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1961.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 August 1961!
Which were the important events of 24 August 1961 ?
- Liberia: Flag Day
- RC Saints - Feast day of Saint Bartholomew
- Roman festivals - first of the 3 days on which the mundus was opened
- Ukraine: National Holiday, independence from Russia (1991)
- Sierra Leone: President's Birthday
- Cal Ripkin Jr: All-star shortstop (Baltimore Orioles).
- Colin Angus: Scottish pop musician (Shamen, Ebeneezer Goode).
- Mark "Bedders" Bedfored: London, England -- Rock bassist (Madness).
- Sophie Audouin-Mamikonian: French writer of youth literature; her best known work is the series of phantasy novels about.
- Stéphane Richard: French public servant and business manager, currently CEO of Orange (formerly called France Telecom).
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'
- Joe Dowell - Wooden Heart
- The Highwaymen - Michael
- Mar-Keys - Last Night
- Chris Kenner - I Like It Like That, Part 1
- Ral Donner - You Don't Know What You've Got (Until You Lose It)
- Curtis Lee - Pretty Little Angel Eyes
- Brenda Lee - Dum Dum
- Chubby Checker - Let's Twist Again
- Gary (U.S.) Bonds - School Is Out
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?