Friday 24 August 1979
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to My Sharona by The Knack.
In UK I Don't Like Mondays by The Boomtown Rats was in the top 5 hits.
Time After Time, directed by Nicholas Meyer, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while Sophie'S Choice by William Styron was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1979.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 August 1979!
Which were the important events of 24 August 1979 ?
- Liberia: Flag Day
- RC Saints - Feast day of Saint Bartholomew
- Roman festivals - first of the 3 days on which the mundus was opened
- Ukraine: National Holiday, independence from Russia (1991)
- Sierra Leone: President's Birthday
- Markus Walger: German rugby player.
- Vahur Afanasjev: Estonian author and poet.
- Orlando Engelaar: Dutch footballer.
- Elva Hsiao: Taiwanese singer and actress.
- Kaki King: American guitarist and composer.
- Michael Redd: American basketball player
- Cars play concert in New York Central Park
- NFL fans (60,916) choose old New England Patriots' logo over new.
- Ghana recognizes the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR).
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Knack - My Sharona
- Chic - Good Times
- Barbra Streisand - The Main Event & Fight
- Earth, Wind and Fire - After The Love Has Gone
- Donna Summer - Bad Girls
- Electric Light Orchestra - Don't Bring Me Down
- Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia
- Maxine Nightingale - Lead Me On
- Elton John - Mama Can't Buy You Love
- Robert John - Sad Eyes
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?