Sunday 24 August 2008
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Disturbia by Rihanna.
Slumdog Millionaire, directed by Danny Boyle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Mummy Forensics.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Bionic Commando: Rearmed or Brain Age Express.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 August 2008!
Which were the important events of 24 August 2008 ?
- Liberia: Flag Day
- RC Saints - Feast day of Saint Bartholomew
- Roman festivals - first of the 3 days on which the mundus was opened
- Ukraine: National Holiday, independence from Russia (1991)
- Sierra Leone: President's Birthday
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 24 August
- An aircraft crashes in Guatemala, killing 10, including four Americans on a humanitarian mission.
- A suicide bomber attacks a feast in Baghdad's Abu Ghraib district resulting in at least 21 deaths. (BBC News)
- A small plane crashes east of Guatemala City, killing ten and injuring four. (Canadian Press via Google News)
- Iran Aseman Airlines Flight 6895, a Boeing 737, crashes in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan shortly after takeoff, killing 71 people. (AFP via Google News)
- 2008 South Ossetia War:
- A train carrying oil products hits a landmine and catches fire. A Georgian Interior Ministry spokesman blamed Russia for the blast. (CNN)
- The United States Navy's destroyer, the USS ''McFaul'', arrives at the Black Sea port of Batumi to deliver aid for Georgia. (Bloomberg)
- United States warns that Russia is establishing permanent facilities in Georgia. (Xinhua)
- 2008 Summer Olympics:
- Samuel Wanjiru of Kenya wins the gold medal in the men's marathon at the 2008 Summer Olympics setting a new Olympic record of 2:06:32. (AP via Yahoo! News)
- The United States wins the gold medal in men's basketball at the 2008 Summer Olympics. (ESPN)
- The Summer Olympics concludes after 16 days with the closing ceremony. (Xinhua)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2008 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?