Tuesday 24 August 2010
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Love The Way You Lie by Eminem.
Piranha, directed by Alexandre Aja, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2010.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 August 2010!
Which were the important events of 24 August 2010 ?
- Liberia: Flag Day
- RC Saints - Feast day of Saint Bartholomew
- Roman festivals - first of the 3 days on which the mundus was opened
- Ukraine: National Holiday, independence from Russia (1991)
- Sierra Leone: President's Birthday
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 24 August
- US military in Iraq cuts its strength to 50,000 troops.
- Yemeni al-Qaeda crackdown:
- Two Catalonian aid workers kidnapped in Mauritania by Al-Qaeda Organization in the Islamic Maghreb return home. (Reuters)
- Battle of Mogadishu (2010):
- Al-Shabaab militants storm the Hotel Muna, close to the Presidential palace Villa Somalia in Mogadishu, killing at least 33 people including several MPs. (''New York Times'')
- Foreign human rights groups accuse Rwandan and Congolese rebels of gang-raping nearly 200 women and some baby boys over four days within miles of a U.N. peacekeepers' base in the village of Bunangiri, North Kivu province, Democratic Republic of the Congo. (Reuters)
- A lance-corporal in the Australian Army is killed in fighting with the Taliban in Afghanistan's Oruzgan province. (News Limited)
- American actor Lindsay Lohan is released from a rehabilitation centre 22 days into a three month program. (ABC News)
- India rejects plans by mining group Vedanta to extract bauxite in Orissa due to environmental concerns. (BBC)
- Cairn Energy discovers gas off the coast of Greenland, amid protests from Greenpeace demanding it halt its oil operations. (AFP)
- Stocks on the Philippine Stock Exchange fall the day after the Manila hostage crisis. (Businessweek)
- Oxfam warns of a ampquotdouble disasterampquot following flooding compounding a recent drought and food crisis in Niger. (BBC)
- Rescue efforts start to free the men trapped following the 2010 Copiapó mining accident. (ABC News America)
- The United States Department of Justice states that it will appeal a decision by United States federal judge Royce C. Lamberth to block an executive order by President Barack Obama to expand embryonic stem cell research. (BBC)
- Samantha Cameron, wife of the British Prime Minister David Cameron, gives birth to the couple's fourth child, a girl. (BBC)
- John McCain wins the Republican Party primary election to become the nominee in the US Senate election in Arizona. (Fox News)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2010 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?