Wednesday 24 August 2011
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.) by Katy Perry.
The Cremator, directed by Juraj Herz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Help by Kathryn Stockett was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 August 2011!
Which were the important events of 24 August 2011 ?
- Liberia: Flag Day
- RC Saints - Feast day of Saint Bartholomew
- Roman festivals - first of the 3 days on which the mundus was opened
- Ukraine: National Holiday, independence from Russia (1991)
- Sierra Leone: President's Birthday
- 2011 Battle of Tripoli
- National Transitional Council Chairman Mustafa Abdul Jalil announces legislative and presidential elections within eight months, and promises that Muammar Gaddafi will be tried in Libya. (Ynetnews)
- Muammar Gaddafi vows to fight until ampquotdeath or victoryampquot despite the capture of his Bab al-Azizia compound in southern Tripoli. (''The Telegraph'')
- A former United Nations weapons inspector, Olli Heinonen, warns that a research centre near Tripoli has materials that could be used to make a nuclear dirty bomb. (Reuters via the ''New York Times'')
- Air strikes kill 30 Al-Qaeda linked militants near Zinjibar in Yemen's Abyan Governorate with eight army soldiers killed in fighting. (AP via Huffington Post'')
- Moody's credit rating agency downgrades Japan to Aa3 due to weak economic growth prospects and high levels of public debt. (Bloomberg)
- Steve Jobs resigns as the CEO of Apple Inc. Tim Cook took over the CEO position for the company. (Wall Street Journal)
- Hurricane Irene
- Hurricane Irene strengthens to Category 3 status as it heads towards The Bahamas and Turks and Caicos and then the East Coast of the United States. (CNN)
- Thousands of people on Ocracoke Island off the U.S. state of North Carolina are told to evacuate ahead of the arrival of the hurricane later in the week. (AP via ''The Chronicle-Herald'')
- A 7.0 magnitude earthquake hits near the Amazon region of Peru (CNN)
- North Korea indicates it is ready to bring about a self-imposed moratorium on its nuclear weapons program. (AP via ''USA Today'')
- Russian police arrest a former senior police officer Dmitry Pavlyuchenkov suspected of organising the murder of former Kremlin reporter Anna Politkovskaya in 2006. (AFP via Google News)
- In athletics, Lamine Diack of Senegal is elected unopposed to another term as President of the International Association of Athletics Federations. (AP via Yahoo!)
- A Progress resupply vehicle destined for the International Space Station experiences a catastrophic engine failure and fails to reach orbit impacting in the Altai Republic.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 24 August 2011 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?