Thursday 24 December 1914
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Cinderella, directed by James Kirkwood, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1914
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1914.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1914!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1914 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Ralph Marterie: Italian-American trumpet player and bandleader (d. 1978).
- Guus Verstraete: Sr [August de Graef] Dutch actor/director (Black Magic).
- Dorothy Hyson actress (Ghoul: Spare a Copper, Sing as We Go).
- Herbert Reinecker: Very prolific German novelist, dramatist and screenwriter.
- John Muir: Scottish naturalist, explorer and writer who campaigned for forest conservation in the U.S.
- German plane drops bombs on Dover England.
- World War I: The ''Christmas truce'' begins.
- World War I:
- German air raid on Dover, England.
- Oxymorphone, a powerful narcotic analgesic closely related to morphine is first developed in Germany.
- Blaise Diagne of Senegal becomes the first black African representative in the French parliament.
- The first everyday items made of stainless steel come into public circulation.
- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi returns to India from South Africa to spearhead the Indian independence movement.
- The capital of the Guangxi Province of China is moved from Guilin to Nanning.
- The Port of Orange, Texas, is dredged for the fabrication of vessels for the United States Navy.
- The United States Power Squadrons is formed.
- Phi Sigma, a local undergraduate classical club, is founded by a group of students in the Greek Department at the University of Chicago.
- Henry Ford sells 248,000 cars.
- China declares its neutrality in World War I.
- Fashion and perfumes company Puig was founded
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1914 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- The High Cost of Loving - Elida Morris
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?