Sunday 24 December 1939, Christmas Eve
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The Hunchback of Notre Dame, directed by William Dieterle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1939.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1939!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1939 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Dean Corll: American homicide; a mass murderer of the 1970s whose shocking case blasted its way into the public consciousness.
- Marcia Starck: American astrologer and a healer who incorporates astrology, nutrition, herbology, and other healing techniques in her client consultations.
- World War II: Pope Pius XII makes a Christmas Eve appeal for peace.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1939 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Chatter Box - Kay Kyser & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?