Wednesday 24 December 1941, Christmas Eve
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Hans Eichel and David Arkin.
The Shanghai Gesture, directed by Josef von Sternberg, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1941
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1941!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1941 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Hans Eichel: German politician, Minister of Finance from 1999-2005.
- David Arkin: Actor (I Love You Alice B Toklas).
- Mike Hazlewood: English singer-songwriter (The Family Dogg) (d. 2001).
- John Levene: English actor.
- Siegfried Alkan: German composer (Born 1858).
- (about 0930 hours) US forces on Wake Island surrender to the Japanese.
- World War II: Kuching is conquered by Japanese forces.
- British forces capture Benghazi.
- Dutch submarine HNLMS K XVI is the first Allied ship to sink a Japanese warship, sinking the destroyer ''Sagiri'' near Sarawak K XVI is herself torpedoed the following day by Japanese submarine I 66.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1941 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- (There'll be Bluebirds Over) The White Cliffs of Dover - Kay Kyser & His Orchestra
- This Is No Laughing Matter - Charlie Spivak & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?