Thursday 24 December 1942, Christmas Eve
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Commandos Strike at Dawn, directed by John Farrow, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1942.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1942!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1942 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Indra Bania: Indian actor director and playwright (d. 2015).
- Jonathan Borofsky: American sculptor and painter.
- Đoàn Hoạt: Vietnamese journalist educator and activist.
- Red army occupies German airports at Tasjinskaja and Morozowsk
- World War II: French monarchist, Fernand Bonnier de La Chapelle, assassinates Vichy French Admiral Francois Darlan in Algiers.
- French Admiral Darlan, the former Vichy leader who had switched over to the Allies following the Torch landings, is assassinated in Algiers.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1942 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Moonlight Becomes You - Glenn Miller & His Orchestra
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?