Friday 24 December 1948, Christmas Eve
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Edwige Fenech and Stan Bowles.
Wake of the Red Witch, directed by Edward Ludwig, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
On TV people were watching The Johns Hopkins Science Review.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1948.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1948!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1948 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Edwige Fenech: French-born Italian actress and film producer.
- Stan Bowles: English footballer and sportscaster.
- Frank Oliver: New Zealand rugby player and coach.
- 1st US house completely sunheated is occupied (Dover, Massachusetts)
- First US house completely sunheated is occupied (Dover, Massachusetts).
- Greek government disbands due to state of war, press censorship.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?