Sunday 24 December 1950
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Born Yesterday, directed by George Cukor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1950
while Joy Street by Frances Parkinson Keyes was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1950.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1950!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1950 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Peter te: Bos; Dutch singer (Claw Boys Claw).
- Dana Gioia: American poet and critic.
- Hiroshi Ikushima: Japanese businessman and academic.
- Richard Powell: American noted family, the son of actor Dick Powell and wife, actress June Allyson.
- Libbi Larsen: Composer.
- Urs Kliby: Swiss ventriloquist, very popular in the 1970ies to 1990ies in Swiss TV with his donkey puppet Caroline (see photo).
- Cleveland Browns win NFL championship, beat LA 30-28
- December 25 ampndash Scottish nationalists take the Stone of Scone from Westminster Abbey.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1950 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?