Tuesday 24 December 1985, Christmas Eve
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Laura Aikman and Alexey Dmitriev.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Say You, Say Me by Lionel Richie.
In UK Saving All My Love For You by Whitney Houston was in the top 5 hits.
Enemy Mine, directed by Wolfgang Petersen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1985
while The Mammoth Hunters by Jean M. Auel was one of the best selling books.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Brian Jacks Superstar Challenge or Moebius: The Orb of Celestial Harmony.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1985.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1985!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1985 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Laura Aikman: TV Actress.
- Alexey Dmitriev: German ice hockey player.
- David Ragan: American race car driver.
- Right wing extremist David Lewis Rice murders civil rights attorney Charles Goldmark as well as Goldmark's wife and two children in Seattle, Washington.
- Rome and Vienna airport attacks: Abu Nidal terrorists open fire in the airports of Rome and Vienna, leaving 18 dead and 120 injured.
- American naturalist Dian Fossey is found murdered in Rwanda.
- The Australian state of Victoria celebrates its 150th anniversary.
- Harold Kroto, Robert Curl and Richard Smalley discover Campsubamp60amp/subamp, soon followed by their discovery of fullerenes.
- The GNU Manifesto is first written by Richard Stallman.
- Western Sahara is admitted to the Organization of African Unity Morocco, which claims Western Sahara, leaves in protest.
- Solarquest, the space age real estate game, is first published by Golden.
- Norma Phillips Thornworth is elected president of Mothers Against Drunk Driving.
- ATI Technologies is founded.
- NeXT is founded by Steve Jobs after he resigns from Apple Computer.
- The Tommy Hilfiger brand is established.
- The computer game Tetris is released.
- DNA is first used in a criminal case.
- Greenland leaves the European Union.
- Multiple cases of espionage in the United States prompt the media to label this ampquotThe Year of the Spyampquot.
- Africa has a population growth of 3.2 percent per year.
- The Asian tiger mosquito, an invasive species, is first found in Houston, Texas.
- The Famine in Ethiopia continues USA for Africa (ampquotWe Are the Worldampquot) and Live Aid raise funds for famine relief.
- The Fall of Communism begins with resistance gaining victory in the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1985 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Lionel Richie - Say You, Say Me
- Eddie Murphy - Party All The Time
- Simple Minds - Alive & Kicking
- Dionne & Friends - That's What Friends Are For
- Klymaxx - I Miss You
- John Cougar Mellencamp - Small Town
- Mr. Mister - Broken Wings
- Phil Collins - Separate Lives
- The Cars - Tonight She Comes
- Arcadia - Election Day
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?