Saturday 24 December 2011, Christmas Eve
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of December people in US were listening to We Found Love by Rihanna.
The Flowers of War, directed by Yimou Zhang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever by Jeff Kinne was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Shaktimaan Animated.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Batman: Arkham City or Canyon Shooter 2.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 2011!
Which were the important events of 24 December 2011 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 24 December
- Arab League monitors meet Syria's foreign minister, a day after deadly bombings occurred in the capital Damascus. (Al Jazeera)
- Government troops in Yemen fire on anti-government protesters demanding the trial of President Ali Abdullah Saleh, killing at least nine people. (''Boston Globe'')
- Gun battles in Nigeria between government troops and Islamist Boko Haram militants kill 68 people. (Reuters)
- The Buddha Memorial Center of Fo Guang Shan in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, housing a tooth relic of Gautama Buddha, is consecrated. (Xinhua)
- Dutch actor and singer Johannes Heesters, the world's oldest performer, dies at the age of 108. (''Bild'')
- A former official of the central bank of the People's Republic of China states that the People's Bank of China could lower the country's reserve requirements in 2012. (Reuters)
- North Korean media name Kim Jong-un ndash the son and successor of late leader Kim Jong-il ndash as the Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army. (''Straits Times'')
- Tens of thousands of people protest across Russia against parliamentary elections that they allege were rigged in favour of the ruling United Russia party. (RIA Novosti)
- Cuba announces that it will release 2,900 prisoners ndash including some political prisoners ndash in the next few days. (BBC)
- Libya celebrates its independence for the first time in 42 years independence celebrations were banned under the regime of former dictator Muammar Gaddafi. (''Tripoli Post'')
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 24 December 2011
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2011 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?