Friday 24 February 2012
It was Friday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of February people in US were listening to Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) by Kelly Clarkson.
Project X, directed by Nima Nourizadeh, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Descending.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Bad Piggies or Crashmo.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 February 2012!
Which were the important events of 24 February 2012 ?
- Independence Day in Estonia (1918; the Soviet period is considered illegal annexation).
- Flag Day in MTxico.
- St. Sergius
- Dragobete in Romania.
- St. Matthias
- St. Modest
- St. Edelbert
- Blessed Ameel of Ter Duinen
- Regifugium, in the Roman calendar.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 24 February
- Arab Spring:
- Aftermath of the Libyan civil war: Reporter Nicholas Davies and cameraman Gareth Montgomery-Johnson are seized by militia in Misrata while working for the English language Press TV news network. Two local residents are also seized. (Press TV)
- 2011–2012 Syrian uprising:
- Representatives of more than seventy countries meet in Tunisia to discuss supporting the opposition in the Syrian uprising. (Voice of America)
- World powers demand an immediate ceasefire at the Tunis meeting. (DPA via ''Brisbane Times'')
- 2011–2012 Bahraini uprising: A medic reveals that injured protesters are being treated by ampquotunderground medicsampquot in fear of arrest. (BBC)
- A Palestinian man is shot and killed after clashes at an Israeli checkpoint near Ramallah in the West Bank. (BBC)
- At least 12 people are killed in the deadliest day of protests so far resulting from U.S. soldiers incineration of copies of the Koran in Afghanistan. (Al Jazeera)
- Suspected Boko Haram Islamist militants launch simultaneous gun and bomb attacks in the northern Nigerian city of Gombe. (''Hindustan Times'')
- The Taliban attacks a Pakistani police station in Peshawar killing four officers. (AP via ''Newsday'')
- Air Zimbabwe suspends all of its flights indefinitely. (IOL)
- A member of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission cautions against that agency's current draft of the Volcker rule, suggesting that it will have to scrap the rule as it stands and start over. (Reuters)
- Prince Friso of Orange-Nassau, who was buried under an avalanche in Lech, Austria, while skiing off piste, is reported to have suffered massive brain damage due to oxygen shortage it remains unclear whether he will ever regain consciousness. (AFP)
- The International Atomic Energy Agency reports that Iran is expanding its nuclear activities. (''New York Times'')
- A fourth inquest begins into the disappearance of Azaria Chamberlain at Uluru in outback Australia in the Northern Territory. (AFP via Yahoo News)
- The trial begins of former US student Dharun Ravi, accused of spying on a homosexual encounter involving his room-mate, which resulted in his death. The case has triggered debate about the difficulties faced by young gay men in America. (BBC)
- Haiti's prime minister Garry Conille resigns after a power struggle within the government. (BBC)
- Former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd announces that he will contest the leadership of the Australian Labor Party with current PM Julia Gillard on Monday. (''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- The Governor of the Mexican state of Nuevo León fires the states' public safety secretary General Jaime Castaneda following the Apodaca prison riot where 44 inmates were killed. (AP via Google News)
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?