Tuesday 24 January 1961
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of January people in US were listening to Wonderland By Night by Bert Kaempfert and His Orchestra.
In UK Poetry In Motion by Johnny Tillotson was in the top 5 hits.
101 Dalmatians, directed by Clyde Geronimi, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1961.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 January 1961!
Which were the important events of 24 January 1961 ?
- Jim Ross Day - State of Oklahoma
- Roman Catholic Church - Feasts of St. Francis de Sales and Our Lady of Peace
- Roman Empire - first day of the Sementivae in honor of Ceres and Terra
- Guido Buchwald: German footballer and manager.
- Vince Russo: American wrestling manager and journalist.
- William Van Dijck: Belgian athlete.
- Nastassja Kinski: German actress and noted family, the winner Golden Globe Award in 1981 for her starring role in "Tess of the D'Urbervilles.
- Krasimir Mikhailov: Stoyanov in Bulgaria; cosmonaut.
- Lazard Brothers Ltd draw a check for US$334,867,807.68.
- 1961 Goldsboro B-52 crash: A bomber carrying two H-bombs breaks up in mid-air over North Carolina. The uranium core of one weapon remains lost.
- In Washington, DC John F. Kennedy delivers the first live presidential news conference. In it, he announces that the Soviet Union has freed the 2 surviving crewmen of a USAF RB-47 reconnaissance plane shot down by Soviet flyers over the Barents Sea July 1, 1960 (see RB-47H shot down).
- Acting to halt 'leftist excesses,' a junta composed of 2 army officers and 4 civilians takes over El Salvador, ousting another junta that had ruled for 3 months.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bert Kaempfert and His Orchestra - Wonderland By Night
- Ferrante and Teicher - Exodus
- Lawrence Welk - Calcutta
- The Shirelles - Will You Love Me Tomorrow?
- Rosie - Angel Baby
- Elvis Presley - Are You Lonesome To-Night?
- The Miracles - Shop Around
- Neil Sedaka - Calendar Girl
- Brenda Lee - Emotions
- Bobby Vee - Rubber Ball
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?